Maintaining the physical health of an American Bully dog is paramount if you want a quick and active pet that enjoys every movement of its life. There many ways to maintain your dog’s physical well-being and one of those ways is the quality of food you serve it.
The quality of food can either keep your pet healthy or ruin it. Every dog owner must know what dog food to feed it and avoid the ones that are questionable in quality.
Choosing the type of dog food for your pet’s diet is not that hard. What you need to know is how to prepare the food, what beneficial ingredients it contains and what is the nutritional value of the dog food.
Raw Dog Foods
These kinds of dog foods are mainly served and eaten raw by an American Bully dog. The term “raw dog foods” covers a broad selection of food that is used to feed the dog. These are vegetables, pork, fresh fruits, lamb, salmon, kelp, turkey, organ meat, eggs, and yogurt that are an all-natural produce or organic in nature. Because they are organic and natural, they lack the normal by-products, preservatives, chemicals and additives found in processed dog food.
Raw food meal advocates claim that a natural and organic diet provides the American Bully dog with unaltered amino acids and nutrients rich in enzymes. Its benefits are an increase in longevity, increased reproductive capacity, strong immune systems, decreases diseases as well as allergies. The act of chewing raw dog foods also grants a healthy teeth and gums with well-developed neck, jaws and shoulder muscles.
However raw dog food does have its dangers such as bacteria (E.coli and salmonella) that causes food-borne illness. Also, the dog’s nutrition meal may be unbalanced.
If you’re considering a raw dog food diet for your dog try visiting a friend or a breeder who follows a raw dog food diet and see if their American Bully dog is doing well with this kind of diet.
Premium Dog Foods
Premium dog foods can be found being sold commercially in any store or grocery market. These dog food products are in some ways better than the other dog foods due to the product’s high standard of quality. Antioxidants, protein, and vitamins in premium dog foods possess a better quality. Better digestibility along with better ingredients can significantly improve your American Bully dog’s health.
Due to the high-priced nature of premium dog foods, you might be tempted to by economy brands or other products that have lower quality. If you take a look at the product’s feeding guide (usually located at the back of the dog food bag) of some brands, you’ll find that the dog food may be less expensive while giving your American Bully dog all benefits of good health.
Before serving your dog, premium dog food products take into account factors like the environment, age, temperament, activity level and physical makeup of your pet. The mentioned factors are the basis of an American Bully dog’s nutritional requirements. Buy a dog food that is more suitable to your pet’s personal taste and surroundings rather than breed. If you’re in doubt about what dog food to feed your pet contact your veterinarian and ask his or her advice on the matter.
Homemade Dog Foods
Meals made from these kinds of dog foods have a variety of ingredients in them, and every recipe is different from one another. Homemade dog meals are more or less built from scratch, and the composition of the components depends on the person making it. Said homemade meal could either be all meat, all fruits, all vegetables, or a combination of each. The advantage of homemade dog meals is that the person preparing it knows what goes into the meals and knows in what environment the food was prepared.
If you’re planning on doing, homemade dog foods make sure that you organize your feeding plans as well as the dog food meals that you’re going to serve to your dog.
Healthy soups, vegetables, pies, big meaty stews, and the occasional raw bones are some examples of homemade dog foods. You can also find recipes for homemade dog foods from acquaintances who serve their American Bully dog homemade meals.
Why is it important to feed our American Bully?
Food is one of the things that make an American Bully dog healthy as well as lively. The quality of the dog food eaten by an American Bully must be taken into account when feeding the dog.
Now that you know the importance of good-quality dog food for your pet your next question is what type of good-quality dog food you are going to feed your pet. The kind of dog food that your American Bully needs depends on what type of Bully you have: a puppy or an older dog.
An American Bully puppy that is several weeks old and is transitioning or changing its diet from milk to solid food needs a nutritious meal. An American Bully puppy’s growth at this point is affected by the type of food you provide and the kind of nutrition it receives. Traits like appearance, behavior, well-being and health are directly affected by the food it receives. So providing your Bully pup with proper nutrition by giving it healthy dog foods is important.
Older American Bully dogs, on the other hand, do not have the same urgency when it comes to providing then with proper dog food, but it is still urgent. As mentioned above improper nutrition will cause your Bully Dog to be the target of several illnesses. Your dog’s looks and appearance could change for the worse. If you an American Bully dog owner who likes to enter your pet in dog shows the need to provide your dog nutritious, healthy and balanced meals takes great importance.
You may feel overwhelmed choosing the best dog food from an extensive selection of dog foods that are being advertised and sold. The trick here is to discern which of these dog food products can improve and nurture your American Bully dog’s longevity, health, and vitality.
What is the worth and quality of commercial dog food?
This particular type of dog food is the favorite choice for dog owners. Due to the reasonable price and convenient of the dog food most dog owners prefer commercial dog food. Still the question of whether commercial dog food is worth buying and using pops out from time to time.
Most dog owners choose to buy commercial dog food due to its reasonable price. However, dog owners don’t bother to check the commercial dog food that they are there buying is healthy, helpful or nutritious to their American Bully dog.
It is a sad truth that most of the commercial dog food products are sub-standard and not beneficial to your American Bully dog. These food products can severely impair your dog’s health and in some cases cause a fatality. In some instances, it could be fatal. Several harmful things like harmful preservatives, indigestible waste products, chemicals, toxins, and pesticides are some of those things that a person can find in some products.
The good news is that not all big dog food companies resort to this kind of fraudulent act of putting useless and harmful ingredients in their dog food products.
The best way to avoid these sub-standard dog food products is to find a highly-recommended dog food brand vouched by a veterinarian and other dog owners. You can’t put a price on your dog’s health and well-being. It’s best to buy a commercial dog food that is expensive yet very nutritious and healthy for your American Bully compared to buying cheap but unhealthy dog food products.
What are the beneficial effects of healthy dog foods on your American Bully?
High-quality dog foods can guarantee that your American Bully dog’s health and body are in tip-top shape. Good quality dog foods and healthy balanced diet give your American Bully dog a healthy skin as well coat, lots of energy, strong bones, lack of bad odor, bright eyes, vitality, good muscle tone, longevity, etc. This healthy dog food gives your dog more zest as well as spirit allowing the dog to play more as well as interact with you and anyone else.
What are the adverse effects that a dog experiences when it has a poor diet?
Poor quality or ill-prepared dog foods hurt your American Bully’s health and body that can either be harmful as well lacking the necessary nutrients that a dog needs. These kinds of dog foods can cause the American Bully dog to have a poor diet that in turn can cause a weak immune system, arthritis, cancer, hypertension, liver failure, diabetes, dull-colored coat, soft bones, etc.
Does your American Bully need supplements and vitamins?
Vitamins and supplements are used to support specific bodily functions in the human body. The same goes for American Bully dogs though there are some instances that your dog may or may not need those vitamins and supplements.
If a dog does need to take supplements is due to the following cases:
- A case of vitamin/mineral deficiency or disease that requires supplementation (osteoarthritis and dermatosis to name a few examples) in your American Bully dog. Your dog needs specific minerals and vitamins to face this defect.
- You serve your dog meals that are home-prepared. Home-prepared dog meals are good for your pet, but these meals tend to be nutritionally imbalanced. Mineral and vitamin supplement are the best way to equalize the home-prepare meal’s nutrition imbalance.
- If your American Bully dog is eating little food or eats meals that are deficient in nutrition, a multivitamin can do wonders for your dog.
If your American Bully is eating a nutritionally complete and well-balanced dog food taking mineral and vitamin supplements are unnecessary. Forcing your dog to take mineral and vitamin supplement when it is not necessary can do more harm than good to your pet. The role of supplements is to provide your dog what it lacks in its body and to take those supplements when everything is in the balance will cause to upset the balance in your dog.
Can a dog eat fruits as part of their daily meal?
Usually, we consider fruits to be food exclusive to us humans, but American Bully dogs can also eat the same fruits as well. The benefits that we human obtain from fruits are better eyesight, improved digestion, a boost in the immune system, healthier skin as well as hair and antioxidants. These benefits are also available to your dog if it eats fruits.
It is best to give your American Bully dog fruits as treat or snack after a meal. If you’re adding fruits as a new ingredient to your dog’s diet be sure to introduce them to its meal slowly. Diarrhea and vomiting are some effects of hastily putting fruits in your pet’s meal. You can consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog fruits.
Before offering your dog, fruit, clean it thoroughly first. Some dogs don’t like their fruits raw so it would be advisable to add them to the dog’s food as an ingredient. Make sure that there is no sugar in the fruit juice.
Know that not all fruits are good for your American Bully dog. Some have adverse effects on your dog’s health. Below are lists of fruits that are beneficial and harmful to you dog.
Beneficial fruits for dogs
- Apples – Contains vitamin C, potassium, flavonoids, fiber, and phytonutrients. A slice of apple is more than enough for your dog as a treat. Just don’t give your dog the apple’s core and its seeds since they have arsenic in them that is harmful to the dog.
- Banana – A 1-inch banana piece is considered a right size treat for your dog. A good source of carbohydrates and potassium.
- Blackberries – Contains lots of vitamin C, K, A, and E. Also have Omega-3, folate, antioxidants, fiber, polyphenols, and tannin. A right size treats consist of 2 to 3 blackberries.
- Blueberries – Serve your dog 2 to 3 of this fruit as a good size treat. Possess vitamins C, E, A, and B complex along with iron, antioxidants, zinc and selenium.
- Cranberries – Contains manganese, fiber, vitamin C that fights infections in your American Bully dog’s urinary tract and balances the acid-base in your dog’s body. Serve the cranberries to your dog by stewing them in a saucepan of water. Make then tender by covering and cooking them. Add them to your dog’s food by putting them through a sieve.
- Cantaloupe – Contains folic acid, vitamins A, B complex and C, pantothenic acid, fiber, niacin, beta-carotene, thiamine, potassium, and magnesium. A 1-inch wedge of cantaloupe is more than enough for your dog.
- Kiwis – Serve your dog one or half a slice of kiwi. It contains more than enough vitamin C, potassium, and fiber for your dog’s health.
- Oranges – Contains vitamins A, C, B1, and B6 along with phytonutrients, fiber, potassium, iron, folic acid and Serve only half a segment of orange to your dog since a bigger part will cause an upset stomach in your dog’s stomach. Avoid serving the rind and seeds of the orange.
- Pears – An excellent source of vitamins A, C, E, B1, and B2. Fiber, You can also find pectin, folic acid, copper, phosphorous, potassium, and niacin in pears. Cut the pears into 1 or 2 cubes and serve them to your American Bully dog.
- Raspberries – 2 or 3 raspberries is considered a treat for your dog and contains dietary fiber, magnesium, antioxidants, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, vitamins C, K, and B-complex.
- Strawberries – You can find fiber, Omega-3 fats, potassium, folic acid, magnesium, iodine and vitamins C, K, B1 and B6 in strawberries. Give your dog half or 1 of the fruit as a treat.
- Watermelon – 1 or 3 pieces of watermelon wedges with a size of 1-inch can fill your dog’s appetite. Contains water, potassium, magnesium and vitamins A and C.
Harmful fruits for dogs
- Raisins or grapes – These fruits are good for humans, but for your American Bully dog they are more or less poisonous to its health. There has been more than one case of raisin or grape poisoning in dogs.
- Avocados – Expect your dog to have gastrointestinal irritation if you serve it with this fruit.
- Figs – Ingesting this fruit will cause your dog to have an allergic reaction along with vomiting and diarrhea. Steer clear of Ficus plants and trees where the fig grows since contact with your dog causes skin inflammation.
- Orange Tree – The fruit (sans the seeds and rinds) of the orange tree is the only thing that is beneficial to American Bully dog the rest of is toxic to dogs thanks to the tree’s essential oils and psoralens. Keep your dog away from the leaves and stem of the orange tree. Vomiting, depression, and diarrhea are signs of orange tree poisoning.
- Lemon tree – Same danger as the orange tree. The symptoms of lemon tree poisoning are also the same.
- Coconut – The coconut contains triglycerides that can cause discomfort and be bloating in your dog. The oil of the coconut is safe to serve to your American Bully dog though you should check with a veterinarian first.
On a final note feeding, your dog can be fun. Some may complain that the time and money spent in feeding a dog is a waste, but any true dog lovers know that taking care of your pet’s nutritional needs in never a waste of time. Once you know what proper dog food to serve, your American Bully dog meals are no longer bothersome chores.