Table of Contents
- An Overview Of The Parents Of Lab Pitbull
- Pitbull Lab Mix Colors and Appearance
- The temperament of Pitbull Lab Mix
- Labrador Pitbull Mix Lifespan And Health
- Pitbull Lab Mix Other Names
- Is Pitbull Lab Mix Safe?
- Can Lab Pitbull Mix Get Along With Some Pets?
- Training a Pitbull Labrador Mix Puppy
- What to Expect from Pitbull Labrador Mix
An Overview Of The Parents Of Lab Pitbull
There is no doubt that the pit bull is a true fighter at the very essence of the word. Unfortunately, it happens more because of the fault of the owners instead of the breed itself. The pit bull is renowned for being a great family pet, one that you can always trust around the kids. However, some owners will never take the time to make sure that their pet gets properly socialized when it is still a young puppy. Pit bulls tend to be a dominant pet, so much more compared to a Lab, yet at the same time, this breed can respond well to the right training done the right way.
This doesn’t mean that a Lab will not need any obedience training at all. While a Lab is gentle by nature, it also has a mind of its own, and since this is a medium to a large canine, this can get into all sorts of troubles if it doesn’t learn what is right from wrong.
Considering the things that you can expect when these two breeds have been mixed, the answer is not in any way different than is the case with other two breeds. Although you can always tell something from the temperaments and physical characteristics of the parents, there is really no hundred percent guarantee as to how the puppies in the litter are going to turn out. It is crucial that you first conduct some research on the two breeds’ temperaments so that you can come up with an educated guess as to how the mixed puppy is going to turn out. What is even better is that you should also try to look into the bloodlines of the two parents to check if there are some idiosyncrasies which stand out. At this point, the best person you can talk to is one who breeds this particular hybrid mix.
Pitbull Lab Mix Colors and Appearance
A Pitbull Lab mix, just like its parent, will be sporting a short hair and will not shed, at least not in an excessive amount for that matter. The coat of a Lab Pit mix may also take on solid colors that are characteristic of Labs, or it could also feature some patterns, a trait which is very common in a pit bull. A Labrador Pitbull mix can come in brown, black, tan, yellow, or even white. Usually, the head of a Pitbull mixed with Lab will be a bit wider compared to that of a Labrador Retriever although it might not be as wide as that of Pitbulls.
The temperament of Pitbull Lab Mix
Labs tend to be very playful, while the pit bulls are often more reserved in nature. Labs are also renowned for their reputation for getting along well with other fellow canines and even cats. On the other hand, pit bulls are infamous for their aggressiveness toward other canines, specifically toward the smaller ones. But, for the most part, this reputation is, in fact, a false one, although you can expect that the pit bull will be a dominant breed just like most terriers. You can easily train a Labrador Pitbull mix to get along with its fellow canines and other pets in the household, though. Since the parents are both energetic breeds, you can also expect that a Pitbull and Lab mix will be on the more energetic side, which is the case most of the time. Since this is a relatively large breed, it is a must that you train it properly. A big pet can always do lots of damages, even if it does have the best intentions in mind. For the longest time, Labrador Retrievers have been known as a breed which can easily knock things off the coffee table with just a friendly wag of the tail.
Labrador Pitbull Mix Lifespan And Health
The Labrador Pitbull mix breed is not notorious for having some medical issues since its parent breeds are also not known to have certain health problems as well.
But, it is still important to do your part here and ensure that you only do business with an ethical and reputable breeder that will not you cheat you out on your cash, and give you a Pitbull and Lab mix that was a crossbreed from two parents that used to suffer from a lot of diseases without informing you of these.
It is ideal that your breeder can offer you health clearances of the parents of the Pitbull Lab mix, so you will be assured that you will get only the best quality.
Assuming everything goes well, and your mixed breed doesn’t suffer from certain health issues which affect it during its lifespan, the Labrador Pitbull mix can go on to enjoying a good life anywhere between the ages of 10 to 14 years on average.
Pitbull Lab Mix Other Names
The other names of Pitbull Lab mix include the following:
- Lab Pitbull Mix
- Labrador-Pitbull Mix
- Lab Pit Mix
Is Pitbull Lab Mix Safe?
It will depend on some factors if your Labrador Pitbull mix can get along with the kids. Breeding plays a vital role in determining the temperament of a dog so, if you want your pet to be safe and get along with the little ones, you might want to get a puppy that comes from parents that both have loving and gentle temperaments.
Early training and socialization are important for every dog, particularly for a dog breed like that has lots of energy and may sometimes develop some dominant tendencies. Socializing your dog from a young age would help him get along with the kids better.
Can Lab Pitbull Mix Get Along With Some Pets?
When determining whether your mixed dog breed will get along with some pets, you need to think about the two parent breeds. For instance, Labrador retrievers get along with about anybody, animal or human. Such dogs can be a bit overzealous with some small dogs, yet they’d never hurt anyone intentionally.
American Pitbull Terrier is actually a different story. Since these dogs aren’t dangerous inherently, the terrier in them basically means that they have strong prey drive, which is an instinct to chase the small animals. Raising your pitbull lab mix early will help him get along with some pets, yet you must always supervise any interactions between your dog and some pets.
Training a Pitbull Labrador Mix Puppy
- Always feed your puppies with quality pet foods in accordance with the advice of the vet of your puppy. Several pet foods are considered high quality, yet aren’t balanced properly for big breeds like Labrador retrievers and contribute to the uncontrolled growth spurts that cause stress on the joints. Majority of vets recommend quality dog food with fat, protein, calcium, and calorie levels, which promote consistent and slower growth. Feeding the puppies with food labeled for big breed puppies can help as this can switch your puppy to adult food sooner than typically done. The vet of your puppy is also the best judge for this matter because the growth and size of pitbull Labrador mix can differ a bit.
- Take your puppy to many places as you could and give all types of pleasant and positive experiences with most kinds of people and experiences with unusual places and objects including loud kids, buses, skateboards, handicapped people, and traffic. The more exposure that your puppy has to numerous things, places, and people, the more calm and well-rounded your puppy will grow up to be.
- Set some boundaries and limits for your puppy during his early age and if possible, stick with it. The terriers are basically tenacious and should have a leader who’s fair and firm. Provide a loving yet strong structure to keep the puppy in line and be consistent.
- Plan some activities that give physical and mental stimulation. The puzzle toys are a good mental workout. Teach your puppy agility and interesting games including hide and seek to ease the boredom. Look for ways to engage the mind of your puppy.
- Give your puppy with more time to exercise. Labradors are big hunting dogs as well as pit bulls are active and strong terriers. Both dog breeds have a lot of daily exercises to improve both their physical and mental health.
What to Expect from Pitbull Labrador Mix
As you may see, such breeds are quite the contrast when it comes to their history, which has had an influence on their behavior. If you bring this puppy home, he’s bound to make her nature apparent that must provide you an idea regarding the dominant breed. With that said, it’s unjustified to make some assumptions based on general breed information. Every dog has a distinctive personality and requires individual responses from the owner. Below are the things on how pitbull Labrador mix could turn out to be:
You may expect this dog to grow big and fast. That is the reason why it’s not ideal for those who are living in small apartments.
- Both breeds need fresh air and ample exercise that makes this dog mix a perfect pet for outdoor people. Take dogs along for a bicycle ride or jog, tire him out, and play lots of fetch. This dog breed is high on energy that can get destructive if not channeled correctly.
- Never opt for pitbull Labrador mix if you are planning to stay out for a long period of time frequently. These dogs are not very happy when they are left alone and will not hesitate in making displeasure evident. This could also include aggression and destructive behavior.
- An advantage of these dogs is that they take well to training. The right type of training will ensure close bonding with people and some animals.
- Pitbull isn’t as vocal as your Labrador, so this dog mix can be expected to be moderate when it comes to the barking department.
Your Labrador pitbull mix may also attract several snide remarks from those who create unsubstantiated assumptions against her. It’s up to you to prove others wrong. Train your dog with lots of devotion and love, and you will be a proud parent of this amazing pet across the globe.
The Bottom Line
Each dog is unique. However, the pitbull lab mix is one of the gentlest and friendliest dog breeds out there. If you’re searching for a loyal companion and friend and a dog who’ll always be happy to be by your side, it is highly recommended to choose this mixed breed. The only thing that your dog needs is your affection and time, and he’ll love you with all of his heart.
- Incredible Pit Mixes That Are Popular Today
- What is a Blue Nose Pitbull?
- What is a Red Nose Pitbull?
- Popular Types of Pitbull
- Facts About the Gentle Bull Terrier